Kirchen, Klöster & Kapellen
Dominican Convent in Bad Wörishofen
The Dominican Convent was founded in 1717 by a papal decree. As early as 1718, the first religious sisters from Augsburg arrived in Bad Wörishofen to follow their religious vocation with strict confinement, worship, silence, strict fasting and abstention from meat dishes. In the beautiful monastery church built in 1723 by the Bregenz Baroque master builder Franz Beer, you can admire the magnificent stuccoes and ceiling paintings by the famous brothers Dominikus and Johann Baptist Zimmermann. At the request of the monastery women and a bishop in Augsburg, Sebastian Kneipp became spiritual and confessor of the monastery in 1855. Here he lived for 42 years and managed the monastic model farm with much success. He perfected his holistic health teaching and laid the foundation of the five pillars.
Architecture, sculpture and stained glass form a total work of art
This constructive system, which made it possible to build much more easily and to reach unimagined heights, was thus invented in France. It remains one of the great mysteries of art history that in this country of all places, which after the end of the Gothic Höhenrausch was for a long time only interested in classically moderate architectural styles and large buildings in the horizontal, the technical audacities of the new style were most constructively thought out and most imaginatively tested. Only in the Île de France are still in the 12th century. In the 20th century, so many variants of the new post-Romanesque church type were built that one can trace one of the most exciting chapters of European architectural history on a concentrated round trip within a few days. Only when one has seen the early Gothic cathedrals of Noyon, Senlis, Laon and Sens and the main church of Paris, Nôtre Dame, will one be able to understand the special rank of the three classical cathedrals of Chartres, Reims and Amiens, which began immediately afterwards. Because not only Gothic architecture, but also the arts of sculpture and stained glass have reached their peak in these Gesamtkunstwerke.
The Gothic House
In addition to the classicist architectural style, the Wörlitz facilities also helped the neo-Gothic architectural style to break through in Central Europe. The Gothic House is an early example of this.
It was built in several construction phases according to designs and specifications of the builders Georg Christoph Hesekiel and Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff as well as Prince Franz between 1773 and 1813. The front of the main building on the canal side is modeled on the facade of the Venetian church “Maria dell Orto”; on the garden side, a building from England, Horace Walpole’s Strawberry Hill, served as a model.
The Dresden Frauenkirche was built in the years 1726 to 1743 and is considered a magnificent witness of Protestant sacred building.
During the air raids on Dresden in the Second World War, the church was almost completely destroyed and rebuilt between 1994 and 2005.
Inside the church you will find the original altar, which survived the war with some damage.
The war damage was deliberately left at the heart of the altar.
Thus, it forms a crude counterpart to the other equipment in the style of the Baroque.
In the domed vault, a total of eight paintings depict the evangelists and the four Christian virtues of faith, hope, love and mercy.