ancient building century construction

Playcast “Lviv”

Lviv is the economic and cultural center of Western Ukraine. This is the ancient capital of the Galician Principality, which welcomes guests in all its medieval glory. There are preserved buildings of the FOURTEENTH and FIFTEENTH centuries, Gothic churches, narrow streets. At night the city is especially charming – as if a time machine transported hundreds of years back, where the dimly burning lights, no noise of cars (the historic city center is completely pedestrian), played the organ in the Church built in 1391.

No wonder Lviv in the Soviet cinema “played the role” of the European medieval cities (Mikhail Boyarsky in the role of musketeer ran it down its cobbled streets, and who knew it was not Paris?).

Lviv was founded in the mid XIII century by Prince Danilo Galitsky and named after his son Lev. The first recorded mention of Lviv refers to 1256. In 1270 by order of Prince Lev, the city became the capital of Halych-Volyn Principality, with 1387 – was under the rule of Polish kings, then Austria, then Poland again, until in 1939 was invaded by the red Army and became part of Ukraine.

Lviv survived more than 30 wars, sieges and fires, but each time rose from the ruins. In the quaint city architecture mixed different styles and epochs: Gothic and Baroque, Renaissance Romanesque, Rococo and Empire, modern eclecticism and constructivism. Lviv patrons 16-17 centuries invited talented artists from all over Europe, which created a unique jewel of architecture. The historic city centre is very well preserved and inscribed in the world heritage list of UNESCO.

The main attractions of the city include:

The Size Of The Market. The architectural ensemble of the town Hall (1381-1827) in the center, the symbol of the city. The town Hall is guarded by two lions holding shields with the arms of the city. In the middle ages, in front of city Hall stood a pillar of punishment. Surround the square with four sides 44 different time and style (Renaissance, Baroque, Empire style) house. In basements and on first floors of many of them preserved elements of Gothic architecture XV-XVI

The Area Of Adam Mickiewicz. Once here converge the two tributaries of the river Poltva. In the middle of the square stands a statue of our lady. In 1905 a monument to Adam Mickiewicz – Polish poetic luminary. There are also historical building of the hotel “George”.

The Prospect Of Freedom. Tourist center of the city with the alley and the monument to Taras Shevchenko. It is the center of political life of the city, as well as the permanent meeting place of the informal youth, call him a “Toad”.

High castle. Mountain in the Central part of the city, on top of which was the castle of the Polish Governor, taken in 1648, M. Krivonosa troops. Now in its place is the observation deck, which offers magnificent views of the city. Upstairs leads to a long staircase.

Powder tower (1554-56.), pidvalna street, 47. Was part of the fortification system of the city and served to defend the approaches to the city from the Eastern side. 1959 – the House of architect with an exhibition hall.

City Arsenal (1554-56.), pidvalna street, 5. Fortification built by the architect I. Fox, reconstructed in 1574-75. architect, Moczygemba. Since 1981, the Museum of weapons “Arsenal”.

The Royal Arsenal (1639-43.), pidvalna street, 13. Built at the expense of the Polish king Wladyslaw IV in the Baroque style. Since 1939 – Lviv regional state archive.

The Church Of St. Nicholas (XIII C.), B. Hmelnitsky’s street, 28. The oldest monument of the monumental architecture of the city. First mentioned in 1292 is Still in princely time the Church served not only the temple but also the centre of political life. The thickness of the walls also reveals defensive structures.

The ensemble of the assumption (Volosko) Church (XVI–XVII century.), St. Basement, 9. An outstanding monument of Renaissance architecture. It is concentrated around the Orthodox community of the city. The height of the bell tower is 65 m. In the interior painting of the XVII-XVIII century iconostasis in 1773, on the Windows – stained glass Windows. Chapel of the Three Hierarchs (1578-91 years), coupled with the assumption Church in the 19th century.

St. Jura (1744 to 1770.), St. George square, 5. A classic example of Ukrainian Baroque architecture. Decorated with sculptures Pinzel. In the interior – the works of sculptors S. Fesinger, M. Filevych, artists L. Dolinsky, J. Radivilivskogo. Opposite the Cathedral is the metropolitical Palace ( 1772), which surround the capital houses and a fence with two gates. In the courtyard is the bell tower ( 1865). The main Shrine of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

Cathedral (1360-1479 years), Katedralny sq. Built by master Nitschke. After the restoration 1760-78, Gothic forms gave way to the then fashionable Baroque. Until the end of the XVIII century around the Church was a cemetery with numerous chapels, of which survived only the most valuable.

Armenian Church and monastery (1363-70 years). Architect Doring (Dorco). For centuries, the Cathedral was renovated, rebuilt. The oldest part is the Eastern (fourteenth century). Reconstruction of 1723, gave the building a Baroque appearance. Significant artistic value of the Cathedral are sculptural groups of the XV century “Believing Thomas” and “St. Sophia with her daughters”.

Bernardine Church and monastery (1600-30.), PL. Reunion, 4. Surrounded by a strong defensive wall and walls of a monastery. The interior – numerous wooden altars of the XVIII century Decorative column in front of the facade, set in 1736 in honor of St. John of Dukla, the patron Saint Bernardine. Now – the Church of the UGCC.

Dominican Church (1745-64.), street Stavropigiyska, 1. One of the greatest in Lviv monuments of the Baroque (architect J. de Witte). Author sculptures – S. fesinger. In the interior – a number of valuable works of art: alabaster tombstones of XVI century marble monument to A. Grotger.

The Jesuit Church (1610-30.), street Theater, 11. The style is pure Baroque in Italy. One of the greatest religious structures of the city.

Opera theater. S. Krushelnytska ( 1900 g .), Liberty Ave. Along with Odessa and Vienna Opera houses is one of the most beautiful theaters in Europe. The building facade is decorated by sculptural figures “Life” and “Art”, statues of “Glory”, “Victory”, “Love”. The theater was designed so that the lobby, corridors and stairs were illuminated with maximum natural light. One of the most beautiful interiors – mirrored hall decorated with paintings depicting the symbolic change of seasons. A large chandelier in the hall made of precious materials adorned with allegorical figures.

“Black house” (1588-89.), Rynok sq., 4. Architects, likely P. Barbon and P. Roman. The best example of residential Renaissance architecture. With 1596 the house became the property of J. Lorentsovich, which opened here one of the first pharmacies in Lviv, it was he who built the third floor and the fourth is already overbuilt in 1884, Now a Historical Museum.

The Kornyakt Palace ( 1580), 6, Rynok square. Built by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn by order of the Greek merchant Kornyakt. Inside – the Italian courtyard with an exhibition of sculpture. Branch Historical Museum.

Lubomirski Palace . Rynok square, 10. Among other things, known for the fact that at the time belonged to the society “Prosvita”.

Potocki Palace (1880), St. Copernicus, 15. Designed by the French architect Ludwig de Verney. In Soviet times, the Palace of weddings. Now the branch of Lviv art gallery.

The main building of the University, (1877-81.), street University, 1. Architect – Yu. Hochberger. Originally, it was Galichsky diet. Striking impressiveness of the facade: a majestic portico with columns and loggia, allegorical sculptural group “Work” and “Education” at the entrance, “Galicia, Vistula and Dniester” on Attica.

Lychakiv cemetery . St. Mechnikov. Exists since 1786 The territory of 40 hectares is divided into 86 fields, which are almost 3,5 thousand monuments and compositions by famous sculptors and architects. In 1991, the cemetery has become a historical and memorial Museum-reserve.